Sacred Heart Matriculation Higher Secondary School is one of the premier Educational Institutions in the Nilgiris District. It was established in 1984. This School is under the management of the Diocese of Mananthavady. The Bishop of the Diocese of Mananthavady is the Patron. The Vicar of Fathima Matha Church is the Local manager.
Sacred Heart Matriculation Higher Secondary School is a self financing minority institution recognized by the Government of Tamil Nadu. We have classes from LKG to Plus two following syllabus of Government of Tamil Nadu. The medium of Instruction is English. At the Higher Secondary level the students can select either Tamil or Malayalam as their Second language.
- To instill the human values in the minds of students to make them successful citizens in the society.
- To provide good opportunity for quality education and discipline.
- Top priority is given for the Integral development of students in spiritual, moral, intellectual qualities & communal harmony.
- Provides utmost care and monitor their individual character to qualify them in extra curricular activities like Karate, Dance, Yoga, Music, Craft etc.
- It is a co-educational institution and admits children irrespective of caste, creed, religion or social status.
- Our school has a dedicated and well qualified team of teachers and supportive staff consisting of priests, Nuns, counselors and experienced personnels.
Kayyunni is the cradle of migration. People from the different parts of Kerala came here and started settling here from early fourtees. Fertile soil of the region brought them hopes of life and Fathima Matha Church ‘Kindled their spiritual life. 25 years of the school marked the progress of not a school, but a people who toiled and sweated, who struggled for existence. Who fought to the wild animals. When the history is unveiled the much is revealed. It is a humble journey through the pages of history.
Beginning of The School
Our ancestors had everything except a good school here. Educational backwardness of the region forced the parishioners and the public to think of an English medium school. The approached the then Vicar, Farsighted Rev.Fr.Mathew Puthenparambil, who supported their idea. The general body of the parish held on 21st April 1985, decided to start a school and appointed a managing body headed by the Vicar as its Chairman, for this purpose. It was started with 18 students in the tiled building of the church. First admission was taken on 20th May 1685 and the classes officially started on 19th June, 1985. Fr.Mathew Puthenparambil was the first Principal and Manager of the school. Sr.Mareena S.H. was the first teacher of the school.